Installation instructions for ILIAS 3 on
Windows 2000/2003 Server with or without permanent Internet-Connection
From: JÃ¶rg Butterwegge Date: 4/27/2006
The installation of ILIAS on a Win2000/2003 server isnâ€™t a problem normally. The following instructions describes step by step the server installation. Also available and must seen is the forum of ILIAS3 open source with help options for all. (see http://www.ilias.de
2. Installation with X(W)AMPP-Package
ILIAS 3 is best running on WinServers with the XAMPP Server-package. XAMPP is an easy way to install ILIAS 3 on your server. X(W)AMPP contains the latest versions of Apache, MySQL, PHP und Perl and installs them all in one step on your server.
2.2. How to get the Software
You can find the latest version of XAMPP (for Windows) here : http://www.apachefriends.org/en/
(current Version 1.5.2). The winfile for download : xampp-win32-1.5.2-installer.exe
2.3. Installation XAMPP
After download you run the installation guide and choose the language. Than check the license and after that you have to choose the folder for installation. (e.g. C:\XAMPP )
(XAMPP creates an own folder XAMPP. So you have now C:\XAMPP\XAMPP). After running the installation guide you get a finale message and now you are able to configure the server.
2.4. Server configuration
For our ILIAS 3 installation itâ€™s needed to switch down the PHP version from 5 to 4. ILIAS 3 is not running stable with PHP 5.
2.4.1. PHP Version
To switch down from PHP5 to PHP 4 you have to do the followings steps :
- first start the control panel of XAMPP and stop the apache service (Itâ€™s better to use the administrative tools of services)
- go now to the folder, where XAMPP is installed. (e.g. C:\xampp\xampp)
- start the file php-switch.bat and enter a 4 following the enter key.
- start now again the apache service from the XAMPP control panel. PHP is now running with version 4.
ILIAS 3 needs for PHP the extension DOMXML.
You had to proof, if this extension is active.
- go to the folder of XAMPP (e.g. C:\XAMPP\XAMPP\)
- go now to folder apache\bin (e.g. C:\XAMPP\XAMPP\apache\bin)
- open file php.ini
- search in â€žDynamic Extensionsâ€œ for :
- uncomment this line so that DOMXML will start after reloading PHP
- save file php.ini
Short Annex for php.ini. After installation you find in the folder XAMPP about three files php.ini, one file php5.ini and one file php4.ini. The â€œactiveâ€